Goose Creek Friends meetinghouse (1735-1819) in Lincoln Virginia VALincoln

More Information

The village of Lincoln, located one mile south of Purcellville, is the heart of the Goose Creek Historic and Cultural District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Settled in the 1740s by Quakers from Waterford and Pennsylvania and known as Goose Creek, the village has always been recognized as a leader in education and social reform. Many of the original Quaker homes, school structures, and houses of worship built in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries remain today.  Originally a bustling community with several businesses supporting the surrounding farming community, Goose Creek Friends Meeting was also a leading center for the Abolitionist Movement.  Prior to the Civil War, black children living on Quaker farms attended school with white children in the Goose Creek Friends School (Built in 1815). In 1865, the community petitioned Congress for a post office, suggesting it be named after President Lincoln, and the ‘Lincoln Post Office at Goose Creek’ became a reality.  Sometime thereafter, the village became known simply as Lincoln.

Today, Lincoln remains proud of its heritage and is a village whose variety enhances and deepens our community life. New points of view and changes in the surrounding area have served to deepen the sense of community that manifests itself in the many community-sponsored activities and programs throughout the year.